Sunday, September 20, 2009
The Sweet Smell of......
Some time ago the place where I work took one of the men's rest rooms and turned it into a temporary women's rest room. Apparently the women's restroom needed to be remodeled and updated and enlarged. None of us men really cared because we still had three others to choose from. I work in an engineering firm where about one out of every twenty people are female. The building was built when it was a way lower ratio than that, I think they called them secretaries back then. When the new ladies room had its grand re-opening (I wasn't invited) the lost restroom was turned back over to the Men. Shortly after this announcement I decided I had to go to the bath room, sometimes I have to go for no other reason than I'm bored or I need to get up and walk away from my computer for a while. I approached the newly re-christened men's room with a slight tingle of excitement, thinking that the women had some how made it a better place then us men had left it, or at least a better smelling. I paused at the door and emptied my lungs in anticipation as I pushed the door open. I stepped in, inhaled deeply, and realized I had made a mortal mistake. The burning in my eyes and constriction of my wind pipe told me I was too late. Big Ed, or some other equally disgusting creature, had already been there. But just as the gag reflex was about to kick in I smelled something else. It was like big Ed had opened the bomber doors and dumped out his usual load of death, but then as an after thought had thrown out a few bouquets of flowers, some spices and just a hint of vanilla. My brain couldn't process it, part of my brain was yelling "Run before it's to late", but another part was saying "hold on, I might like this". I was frozen for a second while my brain fought it out and I began to think the combination of smells was almost... pleasant. And then my gag reflex kicked in and I beat a hasty retreat to the hall. By this time I really did have to go. I filled my lungs, in the hall this time. I finished my business in record time while debating if it was worse to breath through my nose and smell it or through my mouth and taste it, or if I could hold my breath the whole time without passing out. I guess there really isn't a moral to this story, except don't have high expectations when you go to the bathroom, and take a big breath before you go in.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
This comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteThis comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
ReplyDeleteI made those first two comments, but had to delete them because I didn't realize both times that I was signed in as Travis. So...I still have a very strong aversion to vanilla scented air freshener because I had a college roommate who always sprayed it after using the bathroom. It never gets rid of the smell, only made it smell like poo with a hint of vanilla. Gross, but you do make me laugh Travis.
ReplyDeletewe have this issue at work alot (and the majority are women) why do they not put fans in the bathroom? stupid goverment contrators. anyway they told us we could no longer use spray aerisole because it can trigger asmatha. my advice go to another restroom!
ReplyDelete