Sunday, January 17, 2010

Glamorous Company Travel

Taken on my last trip, I call this picture "Why I don't eat duck"

I call this picture "Poopsicles", Enjoy!


I know that there are some people that travel for their companies and actually enjoy it. I talked to one guy who had a conference at Disney World. In between classes they could even go out and ride rides. I travel for my company but it's never that fun. Part of it is that I work for a company that deals with sewer treatment, so when I travel for my company it usually involves going to a sewer treatment plant. I know it is somewhat interesting and it is something most tourists don't get to see (or want to see) but once you've seen one plant you've pretty much seen them all. It's also kind of a conversation killer on plane rides when someone asks you where you are going and why. My last trip was particularly bad, not only did I spend a whole day at a sewer treatment facility, I did it in January in the frozen north wasteland of America. Unfortunately the cold doesn't even do much for the smell, we like to say it smells like money, but it doesn't really help. It doesn't even matter where I go because the destination is still the same, visiting a place connected to the wrong end of peoples toilets. I once visited Miami in November, it sounds like a dream come true to spend some time in the tropics away from snow and freezing but it wasn't. I'll admit the weather was nice, but the trip went like this. I got in late one night (around midnight) and went directly to my hotel. The next morning I got up and went directly to a sewer treatment facility. I spent most of the day there and then rushed back to catch a flight at the airport. I spent more time looking at other people's poop than the sights of Miami. I shouldn't complain, I have gotten to see some parts of the country that I probably wouldn't have otherwise. I am also thankful to have a job, even if it is dealing with other peoples 1's and 2's. It also a stable job, as long as people want to flush their toilets there will be a demand. It could be worse, I could be the person setting next to me on the plane wondering what that smell is, on second thought maybe it would be better to not know.

1 comment:

  1. The wrong end of peoples toilets? I thought that was clever, but then I thought of the "other" end of peoples toilets and I got an image of, well, something that made me think that maybe there isn't a right end of people's toilets.

    ReplyDelete